Fate…. one never knows when it will rear its head and make itself known… In the past few weeks, my blog has grown dramatically in followers, and as a result, my email exploded. It has taken me until today, the 8th, to get to the point where I could get to this post, one I wanted to do right, to pay honor for the honors for which I’ve been nominated.
In short, three very lovely poetesses all nominated me for a different award. I’ll take them in order, and try to get the rules right….. but first, the fate… though none of the three women are Celtic, the trio consists of a group that mirrors the most powerful symbol of womanhood, the triple spiral representing maid, mother, and crone, the wise women of legend in the ancient culture of Eire and Britain.
I am by ancestry a large percentage of Celt, and feel very humbled that these three women, one not yet twenty, whose mind is a pleasure to watch bloom, one poetess of great power and passion, in the prime of her years, raising two children, and a grandmother, with a heart full of life and romance, have all seen fit to include me in their list of nominees for these awards. In the order I received notice, they are…..
First, at greatpoetrymhf.com, our very beautiful crone writes of love, and family, and a life well-lived in very skilled verse, with always gorgeous pictures to enhance the feel of her writing. She received, and deservedly, the Versatile Blogger Award, and I thank her very much for passing the nomination to me among the others in her list….. the link to her home page is….
Here are 7 things about me you didn’t know….
1) I’m afraid of heights…. I can almost swoon if a picture hits my eye wrong…. and driving in SF? Not any more…
2) I have a son, a daughter, and a grandson, all of whom are the source of my greatest pride and love in this world….
3) I am a certified chef d’cuisine, with a degree in culinary arts, a gourmand and oenophile, and my favorite meal is a really good chili dog smothered in onions and cheese, with a crisp, cold beer and some beauxdacious soft, fresh, french bread to sop up the chili…
4) I consider dogs, cats, horses, cows, deer, tigers, and just about any other animal on earth to be a) morally superior to all but 0.0000000001% of humanity (if you do the math, that works out to about 10 people), and b) much better company than the same group…..
5) I am a closet Nora Roberts junkie…. I’ve read about 85% of her books…
6) I was crushed when I realized I would never be an astronaut…. but I haven’t given up on going into space at least once before I die….
7) I consider myself to be the luckiest man alive for having been raised by my father, Robert H. Moore… he was the most honest, faithful, loving man I have ever known, and remains my inspiration to emulate the same honesty, and to be the most steadfast father and man I can be, to honor his memory…..
Here are 15 nominees I think deserve this Versatile Blogger Award….
The second award nomination I received was from Saffa Tasneem, who goes by The Dainty Damsel. She is a recent high school graduate from East India, who very deservedly received a Sunshine Award. She too is a lovely young woman, rapidly becoming adept at poetry and prose alike, as well as a burgeoning photographer with a good eye for composition. Her blog is at…
Here are the 10 questions Safaa asked me to answer…
What is your Favorite color? Mother of Pearl, of course….
What is your favorite animal? Tigers….
What is your favorite non-alcoholic drink? Strong coffee…
What’s your passion? Since I consider myself a polymath, EVERYTHING…..
What’s your Favorite pattern? Celtic knots and plaids…
Do you prefer giving or getting presents? Giving…
What’s your favorite number? 42
Favorite day of the week? I’m retired, and only keep track for other folk’s convenience; all the same to me….
Favorite flower? Either one you wear on the shirt that squirts water, or a rose….
The following are my 10 nominees for the Sunshine Award….
The last nomination I received was from Mari Sanchez Cayuso, who received and passed on to me the 7 X 7 Link Award. She is the perfect representation in my trio of goddesses, of a woman at the peak of her beauty and talent. A mother, an artist, a poetess, a woman who lives more passionately than almost anyone I’ve ever seen, drawing the maximum she can from every waking moment, and turning her perceptions into amazing works of art. Her artistic power leaves me breathless at times, and I am honored she felt I deserved mention…. her home page is at…
I am to share 7 more unknown things about me… SIGH… I hate talking about me, at least in this respect, as if I’m special or something…. but, rules is rules, so here goes again….
1) For an old, fat fart with flat feet and frequent flatulence, I still get around pretty good on my raggedy old pins….no more jump kicks or basketball, but I can walk downtown with the best of them….
2) I’m a sucker for puppies and kittens…. but, who isn’t?
3) I dislike having to deal with snow at all. Pictures of snow, fine. Fake snow at Christmas time, fine. An occasional dusting on Mount Tamalpais every 10 or so years, fine. But, walk in it, drive in it, ski on it, no thank you…. had my fill when we got stuck for 13 hours in a blizzard, thank you very much….
4) I don’t do horror flicks, not even chainsaw stuff, or psychological thrillers… too close to my reality at one time…
5) The most evil, horrifying, dangerously damaging children’s cartoon character ever? Barney, no contest. I always hoped that Barney would have run into Oscar the Grouch just once; he would have slunk back under whatever rock he crawled out from after Oscar got done with him…..
6) Spock was the MAN! And Leonard Nimoy WAS Spock….
7) Best line from “Pretty Woman”…. Kit, “Ya gotta have a goal, do ya have a goal?” Angel, “Well, I always wanted to be in the Ice Capades…”
7 links to my favorite of my posts…..
This is tougher than it seems for my blog. In fact, it is next to impossible. I have no idea how to answer this. Each morning, I make up the title for the Daily Pearl, then I write it, email it, and post it to WordPress. But, I don’t keep any record of what material is written under any title, other than in the archives of my blog. So, I haven’t a clue, just by looking at the title, or the date, what will be in the post, or even when I might have written it. The titles never have anything to do with the material in the post; I make them up fresh each day, before I know what I’m writing about…. I just never thought I’d need to go back and point out specific posts… they’re all random to me….
So, to fulfill this rule, just go to my home page, type in any date after ,oh, say, October of 2011 and before today, then go to that post, and navigate in either direction to find a random sampling of my best Pearls. I did change the format in, I believe, January of this year to its current form, so picking after then might show the latest, and best stuff…
I put my best into every one, anyway, so I’d have a hard time picking one over another for that reason as well. Just use the Previous and/or Next buttons, and it will work out fine, since I have posted at least once every day since I started last year…..
Here are my 7 nominees to receive this award….
I think I did everything I’m supposed to do, except one last thing, and that is to say once again, thank you very much, to the three beautiful ladies who prompted this post by nominating me…. Y’all take care out there…..
Sometimes I sits and thinks,
I just sits.