Well, there’s a shock…. I just scrolled up from below, where I wrote and created an entire Pearl, BEFORE writing an intro….. I have no idea how that happened, other than to plead focused distraction…. I’ve been working on the first section for a long time, tracking down websites, cutting and pasting, the whole nine yards involved in acknowledging an award….. I got caught up, and just plowed through to the finish, forgetting entirely I had yet to write anything to lead into the rest of the Pearl…. SIGH…. Some days, the nose grows more quickly than others….
I guess it’s fortunate, for me, if not for you, that I started so early today. It’s only 0930 AM, and I’m essentially done, except for winding my way through this section to the rest of today’s post. One might think, if one were so inclined, and able to do so this early in the day, that I actually know what I’m doing, and this intro will be as brilliant as the rest of what I’ve done today…. It may sound optimistic, and no doubt is so, but, I think today’s effort is a special one, as it all came out pretty smoothly, if a bit rough in spots. There is a lot of it, too…..
That being the case, I think I’ll make another break in tradition, and call this intro section completed after these three, relatively mild, and eminently sane paragraphs…. Why not, I’ve nothing to lose, as I don’t make any money for any of this, nor do I count on it for anything other than as a means of bolstering my grip on reality, tenuous as it may be. For sure and for certain, I’m no crazier than I was at the start of all this, both today, and in the recent past… Well, no crazier in a measurable sense, but, I don’t think there is a test for my kind of crazy…. Moreover, who cares? Not me…. On that note, Shall we Pearl?…..
One of my favorite poetesses, elliebloo, nominated me to receive this award, which is humbling, inspiring, touching, and an honor, all at once. The rules, as with most awards are simple, if a bit time consuming, but, to honor her for nominating me, shock though it was (never thought, or think of, myself as “inspiring”, but, there you go…), I’ll try to get them all done, in a competent fashion….
Here are the terms of this lovely honor:
1. Display the award logo on your blog (see above, hopefully…).
2. Link back to the person who nominated you (below logo) (There it is, right there below the logo….)
3. State 7 things about yourself (below the rules). (Okay…. if I must…. see below….)
4. Nominate 15 other bloggers for this award and link to them (Whewee! Well, they’re all below…. It’s hard to keep it to 15….).
yer pirate: http://managuagunntoday.wordpress.com/
Sydney Fong: http://addgrainonearth.com/
History of the Ancient World: http://historyoftheancientworld.wordpress.com/
Manhattan Call Girl: http://secretlifeofamanhattancallgirl.wordpress.com/
Lady Blue Rose: http://ladybluerose.wordpress.com/
jaz fagan: http://catseyesk.wordpress.com/
Ashi Akira: http://ashiakira.wordpress.com/
Tracy Louise: http://tracielouisephotography.net/
American Liberal Times: http://americanliberaltimes.com/
Patricia Drury: http://patriciaddrury.com/
After his image: http://afterhisimage.wordpress.com/
Eyes of Odysseus: http://eyesofodysseus.wordpress.com/
5. Notify those bloggers of the nomination and the award’s requirements (will do). (The most time consuming part, but, good practice at navigation, cutting, pasting, and focusing on details….)
Seven things about gigoid you probably didn’t need, or want to know, but rules are rules…..
1) I am a true curmudgeon (I hate everybody, and everything they do…. equal opportunity cynicism, at your service….), with a large streak of closet romantic in me….. so be it….
2) If you took all of the moments in my life that I’ve been truly happy, it would make a good 10 minute video…. Just kidding…. actually, it would have to be considered an epic film, because I’ve been happy, mostly, for much of my life…. I discovered a long time ago that if we are just happy with the way things are now, then things will work out for the best, most of the time…. In other words, a man who knows he has enough, is rich beyond measure….
3) Apparently, I don’t like to talk about myself, at least not intimately, because I’m stuck here on #3, with no idea of what to say….. Hmm, how’s this?…. I’m giving up Boston Baked Beans for good…. what they do to my guts shouldn’t be allowed in polite society, so we’re parting ways, with no hard feelings, only odoriferous remnants of past repasts…..
4) I am not a Vegan…. in fact, I’d rather eat a Vegan than talk to one…. No, really, just kidding, but, I’ve never understood the impulse toward such ideas…. First, why fight several hundred thousand years of evolution? My body LIKES meat, and processes it as well, or better, than many other foods in that category I like to call rabbit food….. Sure, I believe in the connection between all life forms, but, given the chance, there are many members of the animal kingdom who would have no objection, philosophical, or otherwise, to eating me, should the opportunity arise…. Sharks, any big cat, wolves, bears, komodo dragons, monitor lizards, any of them would be happy to consume my carcass, cooked or not….. I feel no need to avoid eating them, as long as I appreciate the sacrifice, and grok their spirit….
5) As I grow older, I am finding myself appreciating my years of experience more each day. Tasks I found onerous throughout my life become simpler with the inside knowledge of how things work in the real world, and though I cannot lift as much as I used to, and I walk pretty slowly now, I THINK a lot faster, and there isn’t much I can’t do now than I could as much as twenty years ago…. If I do have to move quickly, or apply some strength to accomplish something, I may pay a higher price, in pain, for doing so, but, in general, I find most stuff easier, because it is familiar, and thereby made simple….
6) What is the mind? This question has fascinated me all of my life, and has provided me, because of the breadth and width and depth of the query, and the implications of whatever speculative answers one may find. It makes the study of people, myself included, a topic of endless fertility, as I try to understand my own mind, and how it works, and how it perceives the universe, as well as watching other people to try to ascertain the answers to the same questions that I see in their behavior, or in their words.
This question has been the central driving force behind all of my curiosity, and hopefully, will continue to stimulate my interest in Life right up to the day the Grim Reaper comes for me….. whereupon he will need to use all his skills and tricks, for I will not go quietly from this plane of existence, even though I do not fear what is next…. I’m just having too good of a time to go when HE wants me to go…. If I’m not done, I’ll be kicking and fighting every step of the way to Hell, or wherever my next stop might be…..
7) Damn! Isn’t that enough?…. Okay, okay, here….. I’m a sucker for a good hat. When I received the money from SS for all the months they had delayed in awarding the benefits, my second purchase was a new hat, followed by the third, a beautiful black homburg with grey trim around the brim…. very classy and dignified…. Hell, it might even get me in to see the Queen when I’m in London, you think?….. Any who, that’s seven…. Whew! I thought that would NEVER end….
Okay, so now I have to notify all the folks in my list of blogs, above, so I’ll be off to do that…. Thanks again to elliebloo for nominating me for this award, which I don’t deserve, but appreciate a lot…. 😀
I’ve always been decent at writing haiku; the numerical requirements seem to fit right in with my persona. I’ve been a bit slack about writing a poem each day for this month’s challenge, choosing instead to pick from my archive. Today, I will force whatever is in there to come out, even if only as haiku…. Let’s hope it’s more than just one of those….. As every day this month, this is for the April National Poetry Writing Month Challenge, with the updates to be found here: http://www.napowrimo.net/ (I still don’t know if I’m doing this right, but, oh well….)
An inner light glows
shining out of open eyes;
madness or wisdom?
Until I knew there was more,
I wanted to know God.
They said he was a nice guy,
and would let me live forever.
All I had to do, they said,
was live my life for Him,
always living by scripture
cleaving only to his Way.
But, everyone I saw in church,
acted different at home.
Living wild, cussin’ and fussin’,
nobody lived like they said.
Still, I tried to be like Jesus,
he was sort of cool.
He never hurt nobody
and walked on the right path.
‘Course they killed him for that,
they couldn’t stand his example.
Turned him into a martyr,
hid his real words among their own.
Then I found the Buddha,
and met Lao Tzu at the gate.
They saw things real different,
showed me how to see straight.
Right thought, and right action
replace blind obedience and faith.
Reality becomes manageable,
fear retreats, the universe expands.
Brother John said it pretty well,
“Imagine there’s no heaven,
it’s easy if you try.”
Sounds like he knew why.
Day to day, life is grand,
we walk in eternal beauty.
Open your eyes and hearts,
find yourself already immortal.
Well….. that just popped out, in near-record time…. It doesn’t rhyme, except at one point, but, I like it, so, here it is, for better or worse…. so be it…. gigoid has spoken….
Time now for an old school pearl, harlequin style…. Don’t fret if that makes no sense to you, it’s just the way things go around here….. Today’s group of pearls all have something in common, but, it really doesn’t matter, because the point of it all is too weird to even vocalize. Just enjoy them for their relevance in a world gone mad….
“One is not idle because one is absorbed. There is both visible and invisible labor. To contemplate is to toil. To think is to do.” — Victor Hugo
“Forget the cake, go for the icing.” — from Observations on Life From Children
“.. bleakness…. desolation…. plastic forks…” — Zippy the Pinhead
Go, Soul, the body’s guest,
Upon a thankless arrant:
Fear not to touch the best,
The truth shall be thy warrant:
Go, since I needs must die,
And give the world the lie.
— Sir Walter Raleigh (1552-1618) — The Lie
“Don’t try this at home, kids. This should only be done by trained, professional idiots.” — Plucky Duck
“and what i want to know is how do you like your blueeyed boy Mister Death” — ee cummings, Buffalo Bill
“When I was five years old, my mother used to tell me that happiness was the key to Life. When I went to school, they asked me to write down what I would like to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy”. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment. I told them they didn’t understand Life.” — John Lennon
Just so you know, the above is one of the finest seven star pearls I’ve ever created, I think….. Mark it down…. you were here when it was first made…. fresh from the wilds of inner space…..
I’m so jazzed at being done with this one, I’m considering letting it go unproofed….. Hah! Gotcha! Not going to happen; Murphy is always lurking about somewhere, and that would just be an invitation for disaster…. I’ll be back shortly….
Very well, then. So be it…. gigoid has spoken…. (I know, I know…. Pretty grandiose, eh? I don’t know why, but I like it….. Oh, well, I’ll try to remember mention it to my doctor, at my next therapy session….) Besides which, it’s done, so, according to standing policy, it has to be accepted, or the union will pitch a fit…. I’m broken now, I suspect, so I’m going to go apply a bandage to my brain…. Y’all take care out there, and May the Metaphorse be with you…..
Sometimes I sits and thinks,
I just sits.